Everyday Lasagna is the next recipe in my collection of Favorite Weeknight Dinners. I made this yummy dish last night and, as always, it was a huge hit! It takes about 15 minutes to assemble—not a bad investment of time for such incredible results! The baking time of 55 minutes total leaves a nice period of down time for relaxing or (sigh) grading papers. Add a simple salad and some garlic bread to this main dish and you’re set! Enjoy!
1 pound lean ground beef
4 cups tomato-basil pasta sauce
6 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
2 ½ cups (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup hot water
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Lightly grease an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
3. Cook beef in large skillet over medium heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
4. Stir in pasta sauce.
5. Spread one-third of meat sauce in baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles and half each of ricotta and mozzarella cheeses.
6. Repeat procedure; spread final one-third meat sauce over mozzarella cheese.
7. Slowly pour ¼ cup hot water around edge of dish.
8. Cover tightly with 2 layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
9. Bake for 45 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
10. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This recipe is featured in Four Course FACS, our FACS literacy resource based on the young adult novel Pizza, Love, and Other Stuff That Made Me Famous.